Foreign language documents and translations

I have to be sure that –

  • You understand the documents you are signing and their effect on you as an individual or, if it is a business matter, their effect on your business
  • What the documents provide for will actually be carried out

In order to check these points I need at least a basic understanding of the documents myself. If the documents are principally in a foreign language I may need to obtain a translation or ask you to get advice from the originating lawyer or organisation. If you email the document to me in an editable form (such as Word) I can often get a translation done easily and at little cost. If a very precise translation is called for, I may need to commission an outside translator and charge you for this.

Verifying facts with third parties

  • Notaries are sometimes involved in obtaining and checking independent evidence to support the stated facts which appear in the documents being notarised. This is most commonly required in relation to verification of qualifications
  • What that means is that I must obtain evidence or proof from sources independently of you. I will need your full cooperation to enable me to do this
  • Carrying out such checks often involves the completion of a subject access request under the Data Protection Act (see an example here)
  • For businesses: in some cases, particularly foreign businesses with a UK operation, I may need to obtain the foreign equivalent of a certificate of incorporation, certificate of good standing or other similar evidence. These documents may be obtainable online, but a charge will often be incurred
  • For businesses: if the certificates cannot be obtained online, I may have to seek the assistance of company search agents or lawyers overseas. Company registries overseas can also provide the information but a charge will often be incurred.